Small dogs come with their own advantages such as less space, less eating, less exercise and less costs. They are easier to travel with since you can pick them up and carry them around in different places. They are simply adorable, especially for those looking for pet dogs. There are different breeds of dogs that stay small and below are some you can choose from.
Top 10 Dogs That Stay Small
- Australian Terrier – It weighs up to 24 pounds and stands at 17 inches with a lifespan of up to 14 years. It is bold, bouncy and active and quite friendly too. It can make great children companion and watchdog.
- Affenpinscher – This small dog weighs up to 9 pounds and measures up to 12 inches in height with a lifespan of 14 years. It is affectionate and playful and socializes well with other dogs. It has a big bark, making it a great watchdog.
- Bedlington terrier – It weighs 24 pounds and stands at 17 inches. It is well-mannered and loves people, but might not always get along with other house pets and dogs. This small dog loves barking.
- Chihuahua – It is a favorite for many and really small, weighing up to 6 pounds and standing up to 9 inches with a lifespan of anything between 15 and 18 years. It is moderately affectionate and playful but can be very hard to train. It makes an amazing watchdog.
- French bulldog – Weighing up to 28 pounds and standing at 13 inches, the small dog has a lifespan of up to 11 years. It is larger, but still a small breed dog making a good lap dog, best friend and a clown. It is hard to train and a bit stubborn too.
- Chinese Crested – It weighs 12 pounds and measures 13 inches in height with a lifespan of up to 15 years. It is a trainable lap dog that’s gentle and playful. It can be affectionate to kids and makes a devoted family pet. It makes a good watchdog even though it is among the smallest dog breeds.
- Basenji – This small dog is alert, hard to train and stubborn. It measures up to 17 inches and weighs up to 2 pounds. It is people friendly, but not so friendly with other pets and dogs. It is affectionate and playful, making a great pet for older children.
- Border Terrier – It is not aggressive, hence very easy to train. It is also friendly and socializes with other dogs, strangers and house pets. It weighs up to 16 pounds, measures up to 11 inches and has a lifespan of up to 15 years.
- Bichon Frise – It stands at 12 inches and weighs up to 18 pounds and has a lifespan of up to 15 years. It is gentle, lively and friendly, making an amazing family dog. It is also affectionate and playful and manages well with other house pets and dogs. It is trainable and a good companion for seniors.
- Dachshund – Very small dog weighing under 11 pounds and measuring 6 inches, but has a lifespan of up to 18 years. It is curious, timid and bold and loves digging and hunting. A tiny dog that’s hard to train, but very playful.
There are so many small dog breeds to choose from. You can find one that is just the right size and beautiful for your liking. There is a small dog suitable for any given setting.